Friday, March 19, 2010

Sweetflower Soap


This soap was such a pain in the butt!! I've never created such a soap that congeals SOO quickly. I have a lot against me in the solidifying soap world: castor oil, shea butter and fragrance oils=30 secs to get into the mold or your soap will be shaped like your pot!

Because I wanted this soap to have both green and yellow tones, I had to have an extra set hands in order to do this recipe or else only I'd have been limited to only 1 color.

After I combined my oils and lye, I only gave 1 quick spin of the stick blender (usually at least a min, but this was literally less than 5 secs) then I added my Sweet Almond Oil, cross my fingers and added my fragrances. I had Chris, my boyfriend, waiting for me to pour him some of the soap into his parsley dusted container and stir it together quickly. I poured my yellow base down into the mold and by the time I took his container to add to the top it was already chunking up! (less than 30 secs since I poured in the fragrance oil).

I used the back end of my spatula and pressed the green chunks down on top of the yellow base, which had already solidified into it's own separate bar and then got my fork and started pressing down on the green chunks like you would on peanut butter cookies, breaking them up and squishing them down to a flat surface. (The pic you see posted)

After this, I waited a few minutes and went back to my mold to see if the saponification process helped to warm up and combine the two layers. I pressed my fork on the soap again and this time my fork almost went through to the middle! It's softening up and combining to each other! Groovy.

Now just have to wait 24 hours and hopefully when I cut it, each bar will be 1 solid piece and not split in half at the color mark. I don't think it will though. *hopeful* :-)

In any case, if all works out in the end, this will be one fantastic bar of soap! It smells sooo sweet, clean and light and the nourishing properties of the Parley Powder, Shea Butter and Sweet Almond Oil are so good for your skin!

Parley is packed with Vitamin C and is a powerful antioxidant. Vitamin C helps regulate sebaceous glands to keep skin from drying out which also helps prevent wrinkles and spider veins.

Shea Butter is a particularly effective moisturizer because it contains so many fatty acids, which are needed to retain skin moisture and elasticity. It contains both Vitamin A and E and has shown both antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties.

Sweet Almond Oil is easily absorbable and serves as a great emollient, by lending a soft glowing beautiful touch to the skin. It balances the moisture in the body. In case of loss of moisture, it helps to restore it. It also aids in combating itching and inflammation.

Ingredients: Coconut Oil, Castor Oil, Olive Pomace, Shea Butter, Palm Oil, Sweet Almond Oil (added at Trace), Parsley Powder (green coloring), Fragrances of Sunflower, Sweetgrass and White Sage.

No comments:

Post a Comment